Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Extremely Biased Point of View

For the most part, I've been a musician all of my life. Sure, I spent SOME time outside playing as a youngster, but I spent an enormous amount of hours practicing the guitar growing up.
It was exciting to me; that maybe, one day, I'd be able to be on a stage… make music that other people wanted to listen to that I, myself, liked to play. Hours & hours, days & days spent on my craft.
Fast forward 30 years (which is completely true, by the way), I am lucky enough that all of that preparation has paid off. However, this musical landscape is infinitely different than when I was dreaming of becoming a musician so many years ago.
My influence chronology reads rather bizarrely: Marshall Tucker Band, Van Halen, Guns N' Roses, Pearl Jam, Rush, Tom Petty, Radiohead, Ben Folds Five, Jeff Buckley, Elliott Smith, etc. I was obsessed. I was surrounded by other obsessed, like minded people. I knew every song from every album… every member… even memorized most of the liner notes.
I know I was in the minority of kids regarding how I spent my time… but I BET that today's percentage of future musicians is probably a fraction of what it was then. It makes me weary of the future. There are very few 'bands' out there. Most acts are just a lead singer. I guess it's what people want. I can't help but feel like the old guy who complains about "kids these days."
Maybe the future has very little room for real musicians. I know there are still good songs out there. There are still good singers… but the connection of musicians on stage does a thing. A thing you can't fake with computers. A thing that will truly impact anyone who pays attention & can witness it.
It is what it is & it ain't what it ain't. MTV was awesome at one point. The radio was just as good. We as a people have changed along with technology & what is placed in front of us.
I don't know what to tell you. I offer you no solution. Just ask yourself if you truly LOVE the music you listen to on the radio. If not, search out what makes you happy… even if it's a Whitesnake album.